Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: October 1, 2019 to November 15, 2019
The Receiver position is primarily responsible for the operations of the shipping and receiving unit, including shipping and receiving duties for all incoming and outgoing freight, courier duties and deliveries. This position maintains all records of shipping and receiving and performs related duties that include utilizing computerized software applications such as Banner or other software. During absences or peak periods the Receiver assists with furniture and equipment moves, and the set-up and take-down of classrooms, functions, or special events. This position may perform other Facilities Services related duties or tasks, as assigned.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Successful completion of Grade 12, including or supplemented by commercial courses such as accounting or record/bookkeeping.
- Nine (9) months to 1 year related experience preferably as a Receiver, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working knowledge and training in the use of computers required, with experience in the use of Banner and courier package software, an asset.
- Working knowledge of WHMIS regulations and guidelines, including procedures associated with chemical spill cleanup, and safe handling and delivery of dangerous or hazardous goods such as leaking containers.
- Knowledge of post-secondary educational supplies, office products, equipment and materials used by Langara College an asset.
- Sound knowledge of courier service providers and various procedures such as particulars regarding local, national and international destinations, including customs documents, manifestos and video declaration forms.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to assess condition of shipments, problem solve and apply sound judgement essential.
- Strength and agility required to handle heavy objects (up to 50 to 100 lbs) safely and efficiently.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with Faculty, Staff, Administrators and external contacts required.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written communications.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to work in major and minor conditions of dust, dirt, fumes, heat, cold, noxious odours, noise, confined work spaces.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Position is not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
Salary Range: $1,717.11 - $1,953.71 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:00am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C139-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 9, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.