Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible – March 31, 2021.
Under general guidance of the Development Manager, the Programmer Analyst (b) evaluates requirements for, designs, develops, implements and maintains application software used throughout the College. As a contributing member of a project team, the incumbent develops applications and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures, guidelines, and best practices. Primarily involved with the support of staff, faculty, and student communities, the Programmer Analyst (b) also provides technical support to end users and assistance to other Project Leaders, applications developers, and client groups within the department. May assign tasks and supervise on project phases over Programmer Analyst (a)’s and other staff in junior positions. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two (2) year diploma from a recognized institution in computer systems, computing science, or equivalent information technology discipline. Bachelor degree in technology field preferred.
- Additional specialized industry training of up to one year in programming languages and software development techniques (e.g., Java, SQL, Oracle, design methodology, project management).
- Minimum six (6) years of recent related experience in designing, developing, integrating, and supporting enterprise-level programs in an IT environment. Experience should include 4 years of system design, 2 years of business analysis and project management, and 1 year in a team leadership role.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Expert knowledge in 3rd Generation Programming Languages (C++, Java, SQL, scripting languages such as PERL, CGI, Python), and visual programming tools (4th and 5th Generation).
- Expert knowledge in relational database programming (preferably Oracle DBMS and its development tool suite).
- Expert knowledge of modern systems analysis, design, programming, testing, and software implementation techniques, procedures, standards and methodologies.
- Expert knowledge in software development on Microsoft and/or Unix/Linux platforms and environments.
- Intermediate knowledge of networking techniques, protocols, standards, server operations, and other inter-networking concepts.
Skills & Abilities
- Effective communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to liaise with clients and assist them in the definition and articulation of their business requirements.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, and easy to read design and specifications documentation.
- Ability to develop efficient, optimized, sustainable, well documented, and “elegant code”.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and improve development techniques for software development and programming.
- Effectively analyze, understand, and evaluate the impact of modifications or enhancements.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new languages, methodologies, tools and technologies for software development and programming.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
Salary Range: $2,420.27 - $2,714.97 Bi-Weekly(Pay Grade IT-F)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am – 5:00pm. Monday to Friday (37.5 hour workweek), however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C059-18
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.