Start date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Manager, International Education, this position provides secretarial and clerical support within the International Education Office for homestay and specialized programs such as SELP, Explore, Takudai and other contract groups. Position may perform other related tasks or ad hoc projects, as required.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 completion supplemented by one year (1) business secretarial training with bookkeeping and/or office administration.
- Two (2) years of related work experience in an office.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Advanced proficiency to speak, read and write in Japanese OR Mandarin Chinese (simplified and/or traditional).
- Working knowledge of an integrated database system, such as Sungard Banner, an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including: word processing (MS Word, Word Perfect), spreadsheet (Excel), and e-mail systems.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Mandarin Chinese OR Japanese, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively provide information, assistance and related services to international students, faculty, host families, agents, staff and others.
- Ability to prepare, maintain and process a variety of moderately complex office records, reports and files in accordance with prescribed practices and procedures.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Proven customer service record that demonstrates a positive, open attitude and the ability to work across cultures.
- Ability to multitask and work with frequent interruptions, while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to pay attention to details.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Ability to operate various related equipment such as filing systems, personal computers, printers, photocopiers, scanners and fax machines.
- Ability to work harmoniously with others.
- Ability to perform arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Given the increased departmental activities during the summer, vacation planning is generally not to include months from May to September.
Salary Range: $1,508.56 - $1,706.59 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 17) + 5% Language Premium
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00am - 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlised candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 4, 2018
Competition No.: C232-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.