Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: February 1, 2019 - March 5, 2020
The Program Assistant provides administrative support to the Co-op & Career Development Centre by administering online tools such as the Symplicity Career Services Management System (C3) and Brightspace Desire2Learn (D2L), an online learning system. The Program Assistant supports the Co-op & Career Development Centre in managing current and prospective employers, job postings, and student placements through Symplicity. Similarly, the incumbent assists the Co-op and Career faculty group by updating course content through effective use of the Brightspace D2L system. In this front line position, the Program Assistant provides reception and clerical support to the Department staff including liaisons with internal and external departments, students, employers, and the general public. Providing assistance with marketing and program materials, events, and activities are also part of this position’s responsibility. May perform other related duties, as assigned.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by one (1) year of office administration training or similar.
- Two (2) years of similar office experience, preferably providing administrative services within a public post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of Co-op education and Career Centre programs an asset.
- Knowledge of HTML and web-related software.
- Proficiency in using software applications in a Windows environment including: keyboarding at 50 wpm, word processing (MS Word), data entry skills, spreadsheet development (Excel), database management (MS Access), email, and Internet searching.
- Knowledge of Brightspace D2L and Symplicity or similar online tools, an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, and make decisions when required for the smooth operation of the office.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to understand the various departments of the college and the timelines involved for production of campus materials.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Ability to meet and effectively deal with and provide information, assistance and related services to the public, faculty, staff, clients and students in a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to provide effective customer service.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and enter data with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Ability to operate various office related equipment such as filing systems, personal computers, printers, photocopiers, and fax machines.
- Ability to work independently as well as excellent interactive and teamwork skills.
Salary Range: $1,584.46 - $1,795.14 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 18)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C006-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on January 15, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.