Temporary, Part-Time (Timesheeted)
Dates: January 2, 2018 to April 30, 2018
This position assists the Photography Lab Technician in the preparation and maintenance of the photographic laboratory/studios and classroom. This position provides laboratory support and assists in the effective and efficient operation of the Photo-Imaging Department.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Two (2) year Diploma in Professional Photography, plus at least 1 year of current photography and digital imaging courses and technical training in a range of areas; e.g., photographic workshops, seminars.
- Two (2) years of recent experience working in a large photographic environment including providing practical instruction to students within a teaching environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with digital and film medium format cameras, professional level DSLR cameras and 35mm film cameras.
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with; Mac OS X operating system, current version of Adobe, Photoshop CS image editing software and software & hardware knowledge of a colour managed workflow.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using studio and portable strobe systems, studio hot-lights and studio management.
- Experience using a wide format inkjet printer
- Advanced knowledge in the use of computer software applications including word processing (MS Word) and spreadsheet (Excel).
- Knowledge and experience with video editing.
- Familiarity with CaptureOne Pro and Adobe Lightroom.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety operations and requirements, including WHMIS safety standards and practices.
- Knowledge of the applicable course content, instructional materials and equipment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, faculty, staff, students and members of the public.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position (e.g. standing for long period of time, lifting).
- Capacity to work harmoniously with others.
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate the use of different equipment to students.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply department rules, policies and technical materials.
- Ability to respond and manage potentially dangerous, hazardous, or emergency situations.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Have mechanical and electrical aptitude.
- Maintains competency with current imaging technologies.
- Candidate must be able and willing to maintain flexible hours.
Salary Range: $25.17 - $28.85 Hourly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlised candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 1, 2018
Competition No.: C233-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.