Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible until February 28th, 2020 (possibility of an extension)
The Payroll Clerk is responsible for the preparation, distribution, and accuracy of a computerized payroll system in accordance to terms and conditions outlined in collective agreements, College policies, employment standards, and other governing agencies’ acts and regulations. This position processes enrolments and changes and maintains all documentation related to payroll and benefits administration. Other responsibilities include generating reports, calculating remittances, responding to payroll inquiries, and communicating closely with Human Resources to process employee information effectively.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 and completion of Canadian Payroll Association’s Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification.
- Four (4) years of recent related payroll experience utilizing a computerized payroll program, preferably in a large multi-union environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, and procedures employed in the preparation and processing of payrolls.
- Sound knowledge of benefits policies, reconciliation, and regulations required for enrolment and changes made to records.
- Intermediate level computer skills with a demonstrated ability to work with computer applications such as word-processing, spreadsheet, and database software in a Windows environment. Knowledge of Banner system an asset.
- Sound knowledge of the statutes, collective agreements and rules and regulations governing the work performed.
- Understanding of operational inter-dependence between Human Resources and Payroll an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with various groups, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain sustained attention to detail with high level of accuracy.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines while dealing with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and work with limited supervision.
- Ability to exercise initiative and contribute ideas to improving departmental operations and service to clients.
- Ability to work effectively as a team with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with College staff and officials on matters related to the work.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and effectively in writing, in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in working with employee information.
- Keyboarding speed of 50 wpm.
Salary Range: $1,826.56 - $2,093.82 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C082-19
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.