Responsible for providing communication access for post-secondary students by converting spoken language into a meaning-for-meaning transcript, by using TypeWell software on a laptop computer that is simultaneously viewed by students on a second computer. Voicing for deaf and hard of hearing students may be required. Position participates as part of the student’s educational team to facilitate communication within a college environment.
Education, Training & Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 plus a minimum of one year post-secondary education.
- Successful completion of TypeWell training required. If you are interested in completing the TypeWell training, please click here for more information.
- Six (6) months of related work experience. Preference given to candidates with 1 to 2 years of transcribing experience in a post-secondary educational environment.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience working within an educational team and transcribing in a "teamed setting" preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to type at minimum 60 wpm without errors.
- Proficiency in operating a laptop computer and other peripheral equipment.
- Experience in using various MS-Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to listen attentively with accuracy for detail.
- Excellent English writing skills in grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure.
- Ability to maintain focus on information processing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work effectively with hearing and non-hearing individuals through verbal and written communication skills.
- Awareness and understanding of cross-cultural issues between the deaf and hearing communities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, and members of the educational team.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to meet work performance standards set by the College.
Conditions of Work
- Ability to work flexible hours asrequired according to student and departmental needs.
- Abilityto keyboard for extended periods of time (up to 1 hour) without a break.
- The nature of these positions is on-call. Thelocation of the classrooms and shifts vary according to the student'srequirements and schedule.
On-going TypeWell Transcriber - Summer 2019
- MATH 1152 (Precalculus Algebra) - Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays 16:30-17:20; May 6 – Aug 1
- COMPUTER SCIENCE 1150 (Program Design); Mondays & Wednesdays 14:30-16:20; May 6 – July 31
- ENGLISH 1108 (Language & Composition II); Tuesdays & Thursdays 12:30-13:20; May 6 – Aug 1
Salary Range: $22.34 – $25.27 Hourly (Pay Grade 17) + 20.8% in lieu of benefits
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: This position is not subject to the compressed workweek.Summer 2019 semester (May 2019 to August 2019)
Application Information: For a copy of the position description please click here.
Closing Date: Ongoing
Competition No.: C003-19
We thank you for your interest and advise that onlythose shortlisted will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.