Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start date: As soon as possible
Langara's Makerspace expands experiential learning opportunities, encourages the interdisciplinary and collaborative sharing of knowledge, promotes peer learning, and enhances students' skillsets outside the traditional classroom. It is a space to nurture the creativity of students, faculty, and staff; a space for people to gather, discover, and innovate. The Makerspace Technician oversees the overall day-to-day functioning of the Makerspace with an emphasis on preventative equipment maintenance, general lab repair, maintaining consumable supplies and parts, and providing output services as needed. Additional duties include, maintaining the Makespace iweb site, participating in research projects and industry research partnerships, and orienting and monitoring new users in the safe and appropriate use of the space.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of two (2) year diploma in creative arts, industrial design, technology, or similar discipline.
- Two (2) years’ relevant experience in a creative lab, studio, workshop, or makerspace, preferably in a post-secondary setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with WordPress or equivalent web based software.
- Working knowledge of a range of creative or design software including: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Rhinoceros 3D, and Vectorworks.
- Experience in working with computer-aided design (CAD), and computer aided manufacturing (CAM) fabrication technologies. (3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, etc.)
- Proficiency with power tools and typical workshop equipment.
- Familiarity with the methods, materials, and concepts related to Do-It-Yourself projects.
- Knowledge of electronics, robotics, design thinking, and/or prototyping skills.
- Experience with demonstrating the safe use of different equipment to users.
- Health and safety training, an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Able to problem solve on the fly.
- Comfortable operating a wide range of machinery in the Makerspace.
- Adaptable, and willing to test and learn new techniques, software, equipment, and processes.
- Ability to work across PC and Mac platforms.
- Ability to research, support and troubleshoot numerous hardware peripherals, software and applications.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills with strong attention to details and the ability to multi-task and assess priorities.
- Proficiency with a range of digital and analogue makerspace technologies, including, but not limited to, 3-D printers, scanners, CNC machines and laser cutters.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position which may include lifting heavy objects, manual dexterity, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Exposure to minor conditions of noise, dust, fumes, noxious odours.
- Ability to work evenings and a flexible work schedule.
Salary Range: $1,795.14 - $2,057.81 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C193-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on December 4, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.