Dates: February 19, 2018 to March 31, 2018
Langara's Makerspace expands experiential learning opportunities, encourages interdisciplinary sharing of knowledge, promotes peer learning, and enhances students' skillsets outside the traditional classroom. It is a space to nurture the creativity of students, faculty, and staff; a space where people can gather, create, and learn. The Makerspace Attendant oversees the day-to-day functioning of the Makerspace with emphasis in preventative equipment maintenance, general lab repair, maintaining consumable supplies and parts, and providing output services as needed. Additional duties include orienting and monitoring interested users in the safe and appropriate operation of a range of digital and analogue makerspace technologies including 3-D printers, scanners and laser cutters.
Education & Experience
- One (1) year certificate in creative arts, industrial design, technology, or similar discipline.
- Minimum one (1) year relevant experience in a creative lab, studio, workshop, garage or makerspace, preferably in a post-secondary setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of a range of creative or design software including: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Rhinoceros 3D, and Vectorworks.
- Proficiency with power tools and typical workshop equipment.
- Familiarity with the methods, materials, and concepts related to Do-It-Yourself projects.
- Knowledge of electronics, robotics, design thinking, and/or prototyping skills.
- Experience in working with computer-aided design and fabrication technology.
- Experience in working with 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, etc.
- Experience with demonstrating the safe use of different equipment to users.
- Health and safety training, an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Able to problem solve on the fly.
- Comfortable operating a wide range of machinery in the Makerspace.
- Adaptable, and willing to test and learn new techniques, software, equipment, and processes.
- Ability to work across PC and Mac platforms.
- Ability to research, support and troubleshoot numerous hardware peripherals, software and applications.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills with strong attention to details and the ability to multi-task and assess priorities.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position which may include lifting heavy objects, manual dexterity, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Exposure to minor conditions of noise, dust, fumes, noxious odours.
- Ability to work evenings and a flexible work schedule.
Salary Range: $1,656.00 - $1,884.18 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:30am – 5:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 1, 2018
Competition No.: C020-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.