Temporary, Part Time (Time-Sheeted)
Start Date: August 15, 2019 - November 15, 2019 (with the possibility of an extension)
The Library Assistant produces alternate format materials for students with print disabilities attending postsecondary institutions in British Columbia. This position performs library support functions such as student intake and request processing, digital file download and delivery, inter-library loan, bibliographic searching, remote software support.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a two year Library Technician Diploma.
- Nine (9) months of recent related experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of bibliographic searching, circulation, inter-library loans, and Library of Congress MARC standards.
- Knowledge of an automated library system.
- Knowledge of adaptive technology and production software an asset
- Knowledge of and experience with people with print disabilities is an asset.
- Knowledge of a foreign language is an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with others in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail such as tasks requiring impeccable grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Ability to utilize computer applications such as, word processing, information database, e-mail, internet [HTML], Adobe Acrobat and spreadsheet software within a Windows environment.
- Operate related peripheral equipment such as scanners.
- Keyboarding skills with a minimum of 50 wpm.
- Sound arithmetic ability.
- Effective proofreading skills.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Meet work performance standards set by the college.
- Contribute to the improvement of department services and operation.
- Apply standard library organization policies, regulations and procedures.
Salary Range: $23.71 - $28.89 Hourly (Pay Grade 19)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Hours may vary according to the needs of the department and may include evening and weekend shifts. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C081-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on June 25, 2019
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.