Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: September 4, 2018
Reporting to the Supervisor, Borrower Services, the position carries out circulation duties, processes periodicals and returned materials, and provides support to various areas of the Library such as reserves, media, reference support, and technical services. The position opens and closes the Library, monitors security and performs other related duties as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of 2 year Library Technician diploma program.
- 9 months related library experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of an automated library system, preferably Millennium or Sierra an asset.
- Experience performing bibliographic searching, preferably in a college or university setting.
- Previous experience with computer applications, audio-visual equipment, and media an asset.
- Experience in troubleshooting with end users an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent customer services skills with an ability to deal patiently, tactfully and effectively with students and other library users and to maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and co-workers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with a sound knowledge of business English, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to lift, shelve and shift heavy books and materials, move book trucks and stand at the circulation counter for several hours at a time.
- Proven ability to describe technical concepts to users and assist users with application software; intermediate level troubleshooting knowledge.
- Proven ability to maintain accuracy and pay close attention to detail.
- Knowledge of standard library organization, policies, regulations and procedures.
- Computer familiarity with intermediate level keyboarding skills with a minimum of 40 wpm.
Salary Range: $1,584.46 - $1,795.14 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 18)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Hours may vary according to the needs of the department and may include evening and weekend shifts. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C079-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on June 27, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.