Dates: January 2, 2018 to August 31, 2018
Reporting to the Assistant Department Chair (Students), Math & Stats Department, the Laboratory Aide provides instructional support services to students enrolled in Mathematics or Statistics courses, provides support to Math 1100 and 1101 and oversees the effective operation of the Math and Stats Activity Centre (MSAC) according to the work performance standards set by the College.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics and/or Statistics or a related field.
- Three (3) months of recent experience tutoring mathematics or statistics, preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with providing clerical support.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to take the initiative, organize, schedule, and prioritize.
- Ability to provide direction to students.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply department rules, policies and technical materials.
- Ability to maintain confidential records.
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- Proficiency in computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, Course Management Systems, Mathematics and Statistics computational software
- Willing to learn new technology and software
- Available to work flexible hours
Salary Range: $22.21 - $25.17 Hourly (Pay Grade 18)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: November 15, 2017
Competition No.: C209-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.