Temporary, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Dates: As soon as possible until April 30, 2020 with possibility of extension
Under the direction of the Department Chair, Co-op & Career Development Centre, the Job Development Assistant provides information to and sources opportunities with employers that allow Langara students to apply skills learned in the classroom, to the real world. Although primarily marketing the skills and talents of students for the new Post Degree Diploma programs, the Job Development Assistant will outline all types of student talent available for work experience, co-op, part-time or paid work when speaking with contacts. This position has an emphasis on attending off-campus networking events and following up with employers directly at their place of business. Other responsibilities include entering daily data from meetings into the Symplicity database (called C3), creating status reports to the Chair, creating various promotional materials, reception relief and some general clerical duties.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by one (1) year of business administration or similar from a recognized college.
- Two (2) years of related development experience working with job seekers and prospective employers, preferably in a public post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Previous experience in a cross-cultural setting with experience supporting students in gaining work-integrated education experience and/or employment.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultures, history, religions, norms and customs in the countries represented by student demographics.
- Knowledge of local labour market trends and issues, especially those related to immigrants and/or multi barrier clients in the Greater Vancouver area
- Previous experience utilizing Symplicity software for client management, is an asset.
- Experience with using social media sites to communicate with targeted groups
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including cross-cultural communication skills to effectively interact with clientele, staff, and the general public who may come from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, demonstrating clear and enthusiastic conversational style.
- Demonstrated ability to cold or warm call prospective employers and/or organizations to solicit interest.
- Demonstrates professional demeanor and polished phone etiquette.
- Service-oriented with a demonstrated willingness to help the department and the organization achieve desired objectives and targets.
- Ability to set and maintain boundaries with clients and manage self-care.
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty and staff from numerous departments at Langara, as well as personnel from outside organizations.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to College, departmental policies and procedures.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office. Keyboarding 40 wpm.
- Ability to operate office related equipment such as filing systems, personal computers, printers, photocopiers, and fax machines.
Salary Range: $24.53- $27.91 Hourly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:30am – 5:30pm. 2-3 days per week, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C107-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on August 9, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.