Start Date: As soon as possible
The IT Procurement Specialist is an advanced and specialized position, responsible for processing and negotiating high dollar value and complex acquisitions which require the preparation of market and product research, cost analysis, review of specifications, and development of special contracts. This position will be required to keep current in IT market trends and specializes in the procurement of Information Technology contracts, and dealing with IT suppliers, vendors, and stakeholders.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a 2-year diploma in Purchasing Management, Material Management, Business Management or Public Administration, or equivalent.
- Completion of SCMP designation from Supply Chain Management Association of Canada preferred.
- Degree or Diploma in Computer Science or other Technological program required.
- Six (6) years related experience as a purchasing agent, including five (5) years coordinating IT procurement, preferably in the public or education sector.
- Experience working with IT vendors, and developing contracts for Information Technology.
- Understanding of ITIL, ITIL Certification preferred.
- Experience working with collaborative purchasing groups such as BCNet or Shared Services BC preferred.
- Good understanding of network systems and associated hardware including VOIP systems.
- Knowledge and familiarity with business intelligence software, CRM software, ecommerce software and processes (e.g. SAP, Oracle, Banner, etc)
- An equivalent combination of education and qualifications may be considered.
- Experience in the development of RFP’s, RFQ’s, and Tenders for goods and services; administering the bidding process (i.e. BC Bid); and the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Knowledge of purchasing standards, policies, procedures and strategies, procurement strategies, supply management philosophy and techniques.
- Knowledge of various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function (i.e. WCB, federal and provincial taxation, customs, NAFTA, Canada Hazardous Products Act, WHMIS, WCB, FOIPPA etc) .
- Demonstrated experience using a computerized procurement systems, preferably Ellucian Banner.
- Knowledge of cloud solutions, including risk in cloud contracts.
- Knowledge and understanding variable elements of IT procurement including multiple licenses, product bundles or versions, multi-year support contracts or service subscription, customization of software, “packaged sets”, and/or inclusion of technical support, consultation, and/or training.
- Knowledge of Software Asset Management (SAM) practices and service management.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to accurately document IT business requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to write contracts on behalf of the College.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpretation, and negotiating skills required to develop contracts and evaluate vendors, handle pricing competitions, monitor market conditions, and to negotiate prices, delivery dates, and payment terms with vendors.
- Ability to prepare RFx and Tenders.
- Ability to interpret and apply various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of action and judgement in all aspects of purchasing and a high degree of accountability.
- Ability to liaise with and develop effective working relationships with departments/divisions, vendors and suppliers.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to maintain standard of absolute confidentiality regarding information and records.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), databases (i.e. Access), email, and Internet.
Salary Range: $2,067.33 - $2,423.88 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 27)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30 am - 4:45 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: July 5, 2017
Competition No.: C093-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.