Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: November 18, 2019
Reporting to the Manager, International Student Services, the International Education Assistant is a member of the International Student Services Team. This position is the first point of contact for the College’s International Education (IE) Department. This position is responsible for providing customer service to and handling inquiries from potential international students, relatives of potential students, agents, on-campus international students, staff and international guests. This position also verifies information on a variety of student forms, ensuring the information provided is correct. The International Education Assistant manages the Front Desk operations and provides assistance and support to other IE team members.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 graduation and one year business or secretarial college training or equivalent.
- One year of recent related experience in an office and customer service setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Oral and written fluency in English and a second language. Fluency in one or more of the following languages is required: Vietnamese, Korean, Portuguese or Japanese.
- Experience dealing with high volume inquiries and dealing with difficult and demanding individuals via front counter, e-mail and by phone, preferably in an educational institution.
- Prefer knowledge of College facilities, services, policies and operations as they pertain to International Students and Canadian students wishing to study abroad is an asset.
- General knowledge of other cultures, their history, religions, norms and customs.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers with varying degrees of English proficiency.
Candidate must demonstrate proficiency and ability to:
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Problem solve, work independently as well as to interact and communicate effectively with others.
- Effectively respond to a wide variety of inquiries in a courteous, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Proven customer service record that demonstrates a positive, open attitude and the ability to work across cultures.
- Multitask and work with frequent interruptions, while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Work as a team player in a changing and growing environment.
- Use and maintain standard office equipment (e.g. multi-line phone, photocopiers, printers, etc).
- Intermediate to advance knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), database management (Access), e-mail and Internet searching.
- There are peak periods during which vacations requests may not be granted. These periods tend to be prior to registration, at the start of each semester and the beginning of LEAP sessions.
Salary Range: $1,564.23 - $1,769.57 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 17) + 5% language premium
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C138-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 15, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
*Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.