INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
**Applications submitted without a completed Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be reviewed. Please review the Application Instructions carefully.**
Start Date: February 5, 2018
Reporting to the Associate Director of International Student Services, the International Education Assistant is a member of the International Student Services Team. This position is the first point of contact for the College’s International Education (IE) Department. This position is responsible for providing customer service to and handling inquiries from all visitors to the IE Office, including students, relatives of students, agents, Langara employees and international guests. This position also verifies information on a variety of student forms and documents, ensuring the information provided is correct. The International Education Assistant manages the Front Desk operations and provides assistance and support to other IE team members.
Education & Experience:
- Grade 12 graduation and one-year business or secretarial college training or equivalent.
- One year of recent related experience in an office and customer service setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Mandarin, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively in other language(s), both verbally and in writing, is a strong asset. Preference will be given to applicants who speak Vietnamese, Portuguese, Hindi, Punjabi, and/or Japanese, in addition to the languages that are required.
- General knowledge of other cultures, their history, religions, norms and customs.
- Experience dealing with high volume inquiries and dealing with difficult and demanding individuals via front counter, e-mail and by phone, preferably in an educational institution.
- Prefer knowledge of College facilities, services, policies and operations as they pertain to International Students and Canadian students wishing to study abroad is an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate proficiency and ability to:
- organize and prioritize work.
- problem solve, work independently as well as to interact and communicate effectively with others.
- effectively respond to a wide variety of inquiries in a courteous, pleasant and helpful manner.
- proven customer service record that demonstrates a positive, open attitude and the ability to work across cultures.
- multitask and work with frequent interruptions, while adhering to strict deadlines.
- maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- work as a team player in a changing and growing environment.
- use and maintain standard office equipment (e.g. multi-line phone, photocopiers, printers, etc).
- intermediate to advance knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), database management (Access), e-mail and Internet searching.
- keyboarding: 40 wpm
Hours & Days of Work:
- The position is currently scheduled from Monday – Friday, 08:15 – 16:15. Hours of work may be adjusted to meet operational requirements.
- This position is not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
- There are peak periods during which vacations requests may not be granted. These periods tend to be prior to registration, at the start of each semester and the beginning of LEAP sessions.
Salary Range: $1,508.56 - $1,706.59 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 17) + 5% Language Premium
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:15am - 4:15pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and SIR (Supplemental Information Request) no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 5, 2018
Competition No.: C016-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.