Permanent, Full Time
Start date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Chair of Educational Technology, the Instructional Materials Designer provides technical expertise in the development of content, teaching and learning activities, and assessments. The position provides expertise in multiple conventional and emerging technologies used to develop instructional materials. The Instructional Materials Designer creates teaching and learning materials through all phases of the process from requirements to deployment and evaluation.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience:
- Post-baccalaureate certificate or diploma in technology-based learning, instructional design, educational technology or equivalent.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent, hands-on experience in the areas of instructional design, online teaching and learning; post-secondary instruction; business/industry training; educational technology applications; or equivalent.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable experience developing classroom-based or online curriculum founded on current adult learning principles, including the development and alignment of learning outcomes with assessments.
- Experience testing applications and skills in quality assurance practices.
- Considerable experience working with Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android platforms.
- Experience working effectively with representatives from a variety of educational cultures including instructional departments, IT Services, administration, student support services, and vendors.
- Advanced skills with a variety of applications used in support of instruction, including applications currently used at Langara such as learning management systems (preferably Brightspace), web-conferencing tools, blogs & wikis, HTML editors, image editing software, media creation and conversion tools, screen-capturing applications.
- Intermediate skills in the operation of computers, the installation and use of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, information databases, e-mail and internet navigation.
- Demonstrated skills in the area of web-based programming, such as HTML5, CSS, PHP.
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and written.
- Design and develop materials that maximize the benefits of existing and emerging educational technologies.
- Contribute to project teams in the development of sound instructional materials.
- Incorporate design principles (e.g. Universal Design for Learning, responsive design) for web delivery and media used to support teaching and learning.
- Work collaboratively with individuals from a variety of disciplines and departments and multiple levels within an organization.
- Establish priorities in managing multiple projects.
- Meet changing priorities and tight deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Maintain confidentiality and protect privacy in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
- Quickly learn new applications.
- Work well under pressure with frequent interruptions in an open office setting.
- Vacation requests may not be approved during peak periods.
Salary Range: $1,978.17 - $2,266.68 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 25)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C031-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on March 9, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time above.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.