Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: November 15, 2019
Under the guidance of the Langara Student Success Course Instructor, the Instructional Assistant is responsible for providing individual instructional assistance and instructional support services to students enrolled in the Langara Student Success Course (LSSC) or subsequent TCDC courses according to work performance standards set by the College. The Langara Student Success Course (LSSC) is a student support resource developed over the past three years by members of the Teaching and Curriculum Development Centre (TCDC) and the International Education Department. The purpose of this course is to increase student success. The LSSC introduces academic and life skills as well as key campus resources. Working closely with the LSSC Coordinator, this position organizes, and maintains a variety of online content, activities and assessments as well as coordinating student participation in the course.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two (2) year diploma in a related field. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a post-secondary or academic environment, providing instruction or instructional support to students.
- Experience in providing instructional support services in an online environment.
- Experience working with diverse cultures in an online environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Intermediate skills in the use of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, information database, e-mail and internet navigation.
- Intermediate knowledge of Brightspace by D2L or similar learning management system.
- Intermediate knowledge of Wordpress or similar web interfaces.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and students
- Ability to demonstrate the use of software to students
- Proven ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Effective organizational skills including ability to make decisions, take initiative, prioritize conflicting demands, and manage time.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a standard of absolute confidentiality
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and students.
- Ability to develop and manage procedures for the preparation and updating of instructional support material.
- Demonstrated ability to meet changing priorities and deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Position is not subject to the compressed work schedule.
- Vacation scheduling may need to coincide with operational low periods.
Salary Range: $1,826.56 - $2,093.82 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C158-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on November 7, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.