Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Temporary, Part -Time
Dates: As soon as possible to December 23, 2019
Reporting to the Department Chair, Journalism, the Instructional Assistant provides direct instructional support to students and instructional support services to faculty members. Additionally, this position provides administrative support to the department, maintains equipment and department facilities/labs, and assists in the activities leading to student admissions into the department. The Instructional Assistant provides services to faculty and students enrolled in the Journalism program in accordance to work performance standards set by the College.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a two-year diploma in journalism, communications, graphic arts, or a related field.
- Two years of related experience providing instructional support within a post-secondary environment, preferably in journalism or similar field.
- Sound knowledge of graphic design and publishing applications such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator (some), Lightroom, and Fetch.
- Working knowledge of the broadcast industry and audio and video editing (e.g. Audacity, Final Cut Pro), scanning software, SoundSlides and related equipment required.
- Sound knowledge of web content management using Wordpress, Cascade Server or equivalent.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proficiency using MAC operating system.
- Working knowledge of the printing industry.
- Working knowledge of social media.
- Working knowledge of web publishing best practices.
- Knowledge of College program offerings and Sungard Banner, an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and harmoniously as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, faculty, staff, students, college administration, and members of the public.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate the use of different equipment and applications to students and faculty.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply department and college rules, policies, and technical materials.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new applications and related mechanical equipment.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to provide basic technical training and orientation to students, faculty, and other non-technical users.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to details and enter information accurately.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with a variety of business applications (e.g. MS Office, e-mail) and standard office equipment (e.g. copier, scanner, fax).
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position (e.g. standing for a long period of time, lifting weights up to 10 kg, demonstrating equipment, etc).
- Position is not subject to compressed work schedule due to lack of off-setting.
- Candidate must be able and willing to maintain flexible hours as required, as evening courses may be delivered.
- Vacation requests may not be granted during peak instructional periods such as the fall and spring term.
Salary Range: $26.97 - $30.62 Hourly (Pay Grade 23)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Fridays, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C156-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on November 4, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.