Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Supervisor and Department Chair of Educational Technology, the Instructional Assistant provides learning support with educational technologies to faculty and instructional employees within the College. This position acts as system administrator for the learning management system, media streaming platform and video-conferencing applications. In collaboration with the Educational Technology Advisors, this position communicates with the college community and promotes the services provided by the department, such as workshops and events. The Instructional Assistant provides technical support during workshops and maintains and tracks all software and hardware during Ed Tech training labs. This position provides operational support to the Department and performs other related duties.
Education & Experience:
- Two (2) year diploma in a technology-related field.
- Two (2) years’ experience providing client support and prioritizing responses to technical problems.
- Considerable experience in an academic environment providing services to students and faculty, preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing educational technology application training and orientation to students and faculty one-one and in a computer lab.
- Experience providing support for technologies such as social media and online collaboration tools.
- Experience developing and managing procedures to prepare and update instructional support material.
- Experience testing applications and skilled in quality assurance.
- Considerable experience working with Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android platforms.
- Experience working effectively with representatives from a variety of educational cultures including instructional departments, IT Services, administration, student support services and vendors.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate the use of equipment or applications to instructors, employees and students.
- Intermediate to advanced skills with a variety of applications used in support of educational technologies; including applications used at Langara such as learning management software (e.g. D2L), web- conferencing (e.g. Adobe Connect, Zoom), blogs & wikis (e.g. WordPress) HTML editors (e.g. Dreamweaver); image editing software (e.g. Photoshop); media creation and conversion tools (such as Audacity, Movie Maker, Powerpoint, Captivate, Camtasia, Handbrake etc ) screen-capturing applications (e.g. Screencast-o-matic).
- Intermediate skill in the operation of computers, the installation and use of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, information database, e-mail and internet navigation.
- Demonstrated skills in the area of web-based programming, such as HTML5, CSS, PHP.
- Ability to incorporate design principles (e.g. Universal Design for Learning, responsive design) for web delivery and media used to support teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as harmoniously as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to meet changing priorities and deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions in a loud open office.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to quickly learn new applications.
- Ability to troubleshoot and convey technical communication effectively face-to-face, on the phone, via email, and through video-conferencing.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including recording meeting minutes and preparing technical documentation.
- Effective organizational skills including the ability to make decisions, take initiative, prioritize conflicting demands and manage time.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the college community.
- Demonstrate analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Good research skills.
Salary Range: $1,761.55 - $2,019.30 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00 am – 5:15 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: May 3, 2017
Competition No.: C061-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.