Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Dates: October 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020
Under the supervision of the Department Chair, Modern Languages and in collaboration with faculty members in the Department, the Instructional Assistant provides direct instructional assistance and instructional support services to faculty and to students enrolled in Modern Languages courses according to work performance standards set by the College.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a Humanities field with 1-2 years of post-secondary training in Mandarin. Preference will be given to candidates who also have knowledge of/or training in Japanese.
- At least 2 years experience in office administrative duties and instructional support to students.
- Experience with language lab software is preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. MS Word), spreadsheets (i.e. Excel), information database, e-mail and internet navigation.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience working with audiovisual equipment, multimedia software and web management systems.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to explain and demonstrate the use of the language lab and educational resources, lab techniques, procedures and methodologies to instructors and students and respond to related enquiries.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Willingness to develop intermediate to advanced competency in two languages.
- Familiarity with a variety of applications used in support of instructions, such as learning management systems, blogs, HTML editors, image editing software, media creation and conversion tools.
- Effective organization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to administer both aural and written tests and quizzes.
- Ability to advise and direct student workers as required.
- Ability to operate audiovisual equipment and perform routine maintenance on a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to research and learn the use of new technology for lab instruction in collaboration with IT and to demonstrate and assist students and instructors in the use of new technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, instructors, staff and students. The ability to meet work performance standards set by the College.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, as required.
Salary Range: $26.09 - $29.91 Hourly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:30am - 5:30pm. Tuesday to Thursday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C119-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on September 20, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.