Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Permanent, part-time (.5 FTE) + temporary, part-time (.5 FTE) to March 31, 2019
Permanent start date: January 24, 2019
Temporary dates: January 24, 2019 to March 31, 2019, with possibility of extension
The Instructional Assistant is responsible for providing instructional, laboratory and administrative support for the Psychology Department. This position prepares and delivers laboratory exercises and provides instructional assistance to students and instructional support to faculty. This position also performs general maintenance of laboratory supplies and equipment.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education, Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology.
- 9 months experience in a post-secondary or an academic environment, providing instruction to students.
- A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Mechanical aptitude to operate and maintain a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge and skill in the operation of computers and installation of software.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. MS Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), information database, e-mail and Internet navigation.
- Familiarity with Sona Subject Pool Management System, Learning Management Systems (e.g., D2L), PsycInfo and SPSS an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate the use of different equipment to students.
- Proven ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Effective organisational skills including ability to make decisions, take initiative, prioritize conflicting demands, and manage time.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a standard of absolute confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and students.
- Ability to develop and manage procedures for the preparation and maintenance of a variety of complex psychological equipment, tests and files.
- Demonstrated ability to meet changing priorities and deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform duties such as lifting and moving equipment, and performing minor repairs.
- Ability to tend to various forms of classroom assistance and supervision.
Ability to work flexible hours and off campus, as required.
Salary Range: $1,795.14 - $2,057.81 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22), to be prorated based on workload.
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C007-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on January 21, 2019
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.