Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Dates: November 5, 2018
Reporting to the Chair of the Recreation Studies Department and in collaboration with the Recreation Studies faculty, the Instructional Assistant (IA) provides administrative and instructional assistance and support to faculty and students in the Recreation Studies Programs. The IA is the main contact and collaborator for college administrative departments and partners in the recreation community. The IA is a contributor in the implementation of the department’s marketing plan and has the ability to work independently to prioritize and deliver a variety of marketing and administrative tasks.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two (2) year Diploma in Recreation or a related field such as Leisure and Sport Management, including some computer courses.
- Two (2) years’ experience in recreation services sector(s) providing services to customers and communities. Experience in a post-secondary or an academic environment an asset.
- Intermediate to advanced skills with a variety of software and hardware applications used in support of educational technologies.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. MS Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), information database, e-mail and Internet searching within a Windows environment.
- Intermediate knowledge in online student learning environments is an asset (e.g. Brightspace, Moodle)
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of web and social media platforms including Hootsuite, Facebook, and Instagram within both Windows and mobile environment is an asset.
- Basic knowledge in HTML coding is an asset.
- Intermediate knowledge in cloud computing and storage is an asset (i.e. Google Forms, Drive, YouTube)
- Experience in marketing is an asset
- Experience in public speaking and presenting in a recreation setting is an asset
- Graduate from Langara Recreation Studies program is an asset
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to demonstrate recreation values and connect with recreation students and professionals across multiple sectors.
- Ability to demonstrate confidence as the representative / first contact within the department,
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Ability to demonstrate confidence presenting, marketing and speaking to public,
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team – working harmoniously with others.
- Ability to provide direction to students.
- Ability to organize, schedule, and prioritize work independently.
- Ability to meet changing priorities and deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Ability to quickly learn new applications.
- Ability to handle challenging requests and excellent judgment in choosing which to respond to and which to refer on.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply department rules, policies and technical materials.
- Ability to maintain confidential records.
Salary Range: $1,739.13 - $1,988.06 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 21)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00am – 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C160-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 19, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.