Temporary, Part-Time (0.40 FTE)
Start Date: September 5, 2017 to November 3, 2017 with the possibility of extensions
Reporting to the Senior Financial Aid Advisor, the Financial Aid Assistant coordinates the processing and distribution of awards, scholarships, bursaries and work assistance programs. Additionally, this position assists in event organization for various financial aid initiatives. The Assistant provides administrative support to Financial Aid Advisors and back-up support to the Financial Aid Clerk. Other operational duties are delegated by the Assistant Registrar and Senior Financial Aid Advisor, as appropriate.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 and completion of certificate in a related field such as office administration, financial management or equivalent.
- Two years of recent related work experience providing student or administrative support, preferably in a public post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of Canada Student Loans and B.C. Student Loans policies and procedures, and the Canada Study Grant Program.
- Experience using a large integrated database (e.g., Banner, Peoplesoft, SFAS), as well as word processing, and spreadsheet software, preferably in a post secondary environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with webpage development software (e.g., Dreamweaver, content management software).
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the loans/grants programs of other provinces.
- Knowledge of a broad range internal and external sources of educational funding.
- Knowledge of awards processes and regulations, and experience communicating criteria and selection processes to faculties.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information and advice to the public, staff, students and external bodies individually, or in group settings, in a tactful , pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to deal effectively with irate students and prospective students on a regular basis.
- Ability to work independently, as well as harmoniously with others as a member of a team.
- Ability to complete project-based assignments, and to prepare reports on project outcomes.
- Ability to exercise independence and judgment in performance of duties.
- Ability to concentrate for extended periods of time in order to examine and evaluate financial circumstances and solutions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work efficiently under service pressures.
- Ability to review data for accuracy and completeness, accurately enter information into software databases, and to word process a variety of documents. Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Must maintain confidentiality in working with student information and files.
- Ability to achieve keyboarding speed of 50 wpm.
- Intermediate or higher level of proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (Excel), and data base software.
- May be required to work some non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends.
- Vacation time will need to coincide with low service periods.
- Ability to physically handle heavy materials and/or equipment (i.e. promotional materials, display stands for student events, etc).
Salary Range: $1,544.81 - $1,761.55 Bi-Weekly (to be prorated based on 0.40 FTE workload) (Pay Grade 18)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Tuesday & Wednesday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: August 9, 2017
Competition No.: C145-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.