Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible to March 31, 2018
Reporting to the Assistant Registrar, Financial Aid and Awards, the Financial Aid Advisor provides advice and assistance to prospective and current students in obtaining the financial assistance necessary to achieve their educational and career goals. This position coordinates adjudication and distribution of awards, scholarships, bursaries and work assistance programs and facilitates the delivery of financial aid programs that are made available through StudentAid BC and other out-of-province and national financial assistance programs. The incumbent coordinates and delivers financial aid and debt management workshops to students and prospective students. Additionally, this position assists in event organization for various financial aid initiatives. Other operational duties are delegated by the Assistant Registrar, as appropriate.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a two-year diploma or Associate Degree program in a field that is relevant to Financial Aid, such as Financial Management.
- Four years recent work experience in a unionized post-secondary student financial aid setting. Knowledge of financial aid programs that are made available through StudentAid BC and other out-of-province and national financial assistance programs.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience counselling and advising prospective and current students.
- Experience assessing and managing student awards allocations.
- Experience representing institutions through presentations to external agencies and organizations.
- Experience using a large integrated database (e.g., Banner, Peoplesoft, SFAS), as well as word processing, and spreadsheet software, preferably in a post secondary environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with webpage development software (e.g., Dreamweaver, content management software)
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations governing the loans/grants programs of other provinces.
- Knowledge of a broad range internal and external sources of educational funding.
- Knowledge of awards processes and regulations, and experience communicating criteria and selection processes to faculties.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information and advice to the public, staff, students and external bodies individually, or in group settings, in a tactful , pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to deal effectively with irate students and prospective students on a regular basis.
- Ability to work independently, as well as harmoniously with others as a member of a team.
- Ability to complete project-based assignments, and to prepare reports on project outcomes.
- Ability to exercise independence and judgment in performance of duties.
- Ability to concentrate for extended periods of time in order to examine and evaluate financial circumstances and solutions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work efficiently under service pressures.
- Ability to review data for accuracy and completeness, accurately enter information into software databases, and to word process a variety of documents. Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise judgment in making decisions on behalf of students and the College.
- Must maintain confidentiality in working with student information and files.
Salary Range: $1,761.55 - $2,019.30 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:45 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: November 16, 2017
Competition No.: C220-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.