Permanent, Full Time
Start date: As soon as possible
Under general guidance of the Development Manager, the Developer evaluates requirements for designs, develops, implements and maintains application software used throughout the College. As a contributing member of a project team, the incumbent develops applications and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures, guidelines, and best practices. Primarily involved with the support of staff, faculty, and student communities, the Developer also provides technical support to end users and assistance to other Development Managers, applications developers, and client groups within the department. May assign tasks and supervise on project phases over development staff in junior positions. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Computer Science Degree preferred or two-year diploma from a recognized institution in computing science or equivalent information technology discipline.
- Additional specialized industry training of up to one year in programming languages and software development techniques.
- Minimum four (4) years of recent related experience in designing, developing, integrating, and supporting enterprise-level programs in an IT environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent understanding of Object Oriented design and programming, test-driven development, and agile methodologies.
- Solid understanding of UML and experience with at least one of the UML modeling tools. Enterprise Architect experience would be an asset.
- Experience writing SQL including JOINs, indexing, optimization as well as a solid understanding of Entity Relationship (ER) diagrams.
- Experience with one or more of the following database platforms and tools: Oracle, MS SQL, My SQL, TOAD and SQL Developer.
- Experience with one or more HTML, CSS, JSP, Web Services, J SOAP/REST/XML, MS and/or Oracle AQ, as well as Enterprise Java Beans programming.
- Experience with one or more of the following Web and Application platforms: WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, Apache, and Tomcat.
- Java programming experience in a J2EE or Web environment including understanding one or more frameworks such as Hibernate, Spring, Struts, JSF, G&G/RoR.
Skills & Abilities
- Effective communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to liaise with clients and assist them in the definition and articulation of their business requirements.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, and easy to read design and specifications documentation.
- Ability to develop efficient, optimized, sustainable, well documented, and “elegant code”.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and improve development techniques for software development and programming.
- Effectively analyze, understand, and evaluate the impact of modifications or enhancements.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new languages, methodologies, tools and technologies for software development and programming.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
Salary Range: $2,378.64 - $2,668.27 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade F, IT Scale)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am – 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C143-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 12, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.