Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: September 30, 2019 to July 10, 2020
The Department Services Assistant provides day-to-day support and assistance to the operational activities required to deliver the LEAP Program’s services and courses. The Department Services Assistant is often the initial point of contact and provides information and service to prospective and current students, alumni, internal staff and agents. The Department Services Assistant also provides administrative support to the program’s operational activities as well as to the Director, Program Managers, Coordinators and Instructors. This position provides back-up coverage to the other Department Services Assistant(s) and performs other related duties or projects as required.
*Note: LEAP (Langara English for Academic Purposes) sessions are eight weeks long and are offered six times a year. Vacation is restricted during peak periods.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 or high school completion supplemented by one (1) year of specialized training in office administration, business or a related discipline.
- Four (4) years of related program or office assistance and customer service experience, preferably in a post-secondary environment. Experience working with ESL students an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Recent experience using an integrated information system (e.g. Banner), preferably in a post-secondary setting.
- Intermediate to advanced level in the use of computer applications including: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with non-native speakers of English with varying degrees of English proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service, respond to enquiries and provide effective and appropriate information, assistance and related services to students, faculty, staff and external contacts.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff, faculty, students and external contacts.
- Ability to operate various office related equipment such as filing systems, personal computers, and multi-functional devices.
- Demonstrated ability to compose routine and non-routine correspondence and to generate materials and documents.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines while making responsible decisions within established guidelines.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Proactive approach to facilitating day-to-day program and office operations.
- Ability to exercise judgement, tact and discretion and maintain a strict standard of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and able to perform multi-step tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to foster effective communication and teamwork, facilitating understanding of individual, team, and organizational goals.
- Keyboarding skills of 40 wpm.
- Ability to work in an open office structure with close proximity to others.
- Ability to work flexible hours and some evenings.
- Vacation is restricted during peak periods.
- Position not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
Salary Range: $1,717.11 - $1,953.71 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:00am - 3:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C100-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on August 1, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
*Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.