Start Date: As soon as possible to August 21, 2020.
This position provides administrative and clerical support to the Director and Managers and performs a wide range of communications and marketing support functions in the C&M Department. The Department Assistant provides general information and assistance to College employees and the general public regarding communications and marketing activities. This position maintains financial records for the department, including advertising campaigns and media buying; assists in implementing College communications and marketing plans; distributes public service announcements; and assists with the coordination of events. This position provides specialized clerical support and performs a variety of clerical duties for the department using computerized software programs according to established policies, procedures and/or guidelines.
**Note to Applicants: Please carefully review the position requirements under Working Conditions. This position requires an individual with a Class 5 driving license, regular access to a vehicle, physical ability to setup/strike down displays/special events, and flexibility to work evenings and weekends.**
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 completion, plus up to two years of specialized training in secretarial/office administration AND in communications, marketing, public relations, or equivalent.
- Four (4) years related experience required, including experience with administrative and secretarial duties and experience in an advertising, public relations, or marketing environment, preferably in a post secondary institution.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Intermediate proficiency in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. MS Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), information database (i.e. MS Access), e-mail and Internet searching within a Windows and Mac environment.
- General knowledge of project management software
- General knowledge of web content management systems (e.g. Cascade Server, WordPress).
- General knowledge of graphic design software (e.g. InDesign).
Skills & Abilities
- Must have keyboarding (typing 60 wpm) and the ability to take verbatim minutes. Speedwriting or shorthand (100 wpm) an asset.
- Must have a positive, customer-service oriented, “can do” attitude.
- Ability to act as a team player, willing to work with others to resolve problems, and also able to exercise judgment and initiative to identify and respond to issues before they become problematic.
- Effective organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions, cope with a demanding workload, and to meet deadlines. Ability to work effectively with those who are under pressure to meet numerous and conflicting deadlines themselves.
- Ability to perform assignments with minimal supervision and work independently.
- Ability to effectively and accurately prepare agenda and detailed minutes (verbatim and summary style).
- Ability to compose non-routine correspondence, reports, and related material independently.
- Ability to learn new software packages in a self-directed manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others in English, written and verbal, (expert level).
- Ability to proofread documents for spelling, grammar, and Canadian Press style.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, solve problems, and multi-task.
- Ability to calmly and effectively work during periods of high volume, and ability to redirect attention to urgent deadlines that arise unexpectedly, in an often noisy environment.
- Ability to work and adapt to a changing environment and exercise initiative.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious relationships at all levels, both internally and externally, including employees, students, media, secondary/post-secondary schools/institutions, peer and community groups, etc.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information, assistance, and communications and marketing administrative support services to the public, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to diffuse conflict situations effectively using tact and discretion.
- Ability to represent the College with a high degree of professionalism at external events, and when working with media, external groups and partners, and the public.
- Must have a current Class 5 BC driving license and regular access to a vehicle to travel within the College region for various career and education fairs.
- Must be able to physically lift, set-up and strike down various promotional and display materials/supplies for special events.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends. Most special events are outside of normal work hours.
- This position is not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
Salary Range: $1,656.00 - $1,884.18 Bi-Weekly, (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, however, hours will vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlised candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 22, 2018
Competition No.: C008-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.