Temporary, Full Time
Start date: August 6, 2018 to August 9, 2019
The Department Assistant provides administrative support to the Program Manager and Program Coordinators within the Accounting, Business, & Computer Technology department which also includes Real Estate, Supply Chain & Logistics, Custom Training and other programs.
The Department Assistant supports administrative functions such as: providing information to students and the general public, arranging learning resources and facilities, and providing support services for the respective programs. The incumbent liaises with the Continuing Studies Registration Staff and other department within the College including the Printshop, Bookstore, Computing Services, AV, and other relevant departments.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 plus successful completion of a one (1) year certification in office administration, business or a related discipline.
- Four (4) years recent related administrative experience, preferably providing customer service to students in an educational setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in creating documents using various desktop publishing applications (e.g. Adobe Suite).
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, in English with tact, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people who have limited English language proficiency.
- Proven organization, prioritization, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to ascertain information from clients and probing individuals to direct them to the appropriate services.
- Ability to provide administrative support to create presentations and workshops.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail when entering data.
- Ability to write, revise and proofread promotional materials.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to operate with sensitivity when dealing with students requiring special assistance.
- Intermediated computer skills using computer applications including word processing (MS Word), Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Suite.
- Accurate keyboarding skills (50 wpm).
- Flexibility to work evenings or weekends. Most courses are held during the evenings and weekends.
- Vacation requests are restricted during peak periods.
- Position is not subject to the compressed work week schedule.
Salary Range: $1,687.58 - $1,920.11 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00am - 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C091-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on July 16, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.