Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible to July 31, 2020
The Computer Support Technician provides IT technical support to users throughout the College through the Service Desk using a client-centered approach according to established policy, practices and standards. The CST will respond to hardware and software incidents as well as user requests. CSTs are expected to provide training to users in a one-on-one or group setting.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two year Diploma in Computing Studies such as Applied Computer Science Technology Diploma, or Computer Information Systems Diploma.
- Two (2) years related experience in providing technical support to users, and working with computer systems, software, and hardware.
- ITIL Foundation Certification.
- A+ Certificate, an asset.
- Experience with installation, configuring, testing, troubleshooting repairs, and upgrades of various computer hardware, software, and peripherals.
- Knowledge of a variety of network and software applications required for providing user support in an IT environment.
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (current version), an asset.
- Mac OS X Support Essentials certification (current version), an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable knowledge of both PC and Mac hardware and software.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to describe technical concepts to users and train users on computer-related equipment.
- Ability to determine and provide technical support advice and corresponding client-centered services.
- Ability to organize, to prioritize workload, and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve, troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve a variety of computer problems.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students, and service vendors.
- Ability to understand and keep up with constantly changing technical information.
- Ability to provide work and support clients in difficult and stressful situations on a daily basis.
- Ability to safely lift and carry various computer related equipment
- Flexibility to provide non-regular hours support by working the evening and/or weekend shift
Salary Range: $29.10 - $32.75 Hourly (IT - Pay Grade C)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:00am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday (37.5 hour work week), however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C124-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on September 20, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
*Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.