Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Temporary, Part Time (Time-sheeted) (2 Vacancies)
Dates: September 1, 2019 to August 30, 2020
Reporting to the Chair and under the direct supervision of the Faculty Instructor, the Computer Lab Assistant provides individual assistance to students during scheduled computing science labs according to work performance standards set by the College.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 and completion of two semesters of college level studies in computing science, engineering, and/or information systems.
- Six (6) months of customer contact experience providing assistance. Preference given to individuals with prior experience in tutoring or providing computer support assistance.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and English language communication skills as demonstrated by the effective explanation of technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Depending on the course, technical proficiency in one or more of the following areas are required:
- basic web programming including XHTML and CSS.
- productivity applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation graphics.
- raster image preparation.
- computer programming in an object-oriented language such as Java, C++, or Visual Basic.
- Familiarity with engineering technical drawings as well as computer aided design and drafting (CADD) software, such as Solidworks and/or AutoCAD.
- Capacity to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to physically perform the duties of the position and to meet work performance standards set by the College.
- Aptitude to learn new software and/or hardware.
- Ability to work evenings and a flexible work schedule.
Salary Range: $20.60 - $23.03 Hourly (Pay Grade 14)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C097-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on July 29, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.