Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Manager, Public Affairs, this position provides communications and marketing strategy, planning, and execution for Langara College's fundraising and alumni engagement team. The Communications Officer (CO) works closely with staff in Langara’s Advancement Office and members of the Langara College Foundation Board to research, plan and implement marketing strategies and materials in support of the College's fundraising and alumni engagement goals. The position collaborates and liaises with colleagues in Communications & Marketing Services (C&M) and other areas of the College to develop a variety of projects. The position works with both internal and external audiences to achieve marketing communications goals while strengthening our brand and enhancing the institution’s reputation.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Minimum successful completion of an advanced diploma program in marketing, public relations, communications, or journalism or equivalent. Additional specialized training in one or more areas: digital marketing, project management, copywriting/editing, fundraising; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum four (4) years recent related experience in marketing communications, including strong strategy and planning, project management skills, client services, writing/editing, event coordination, social media, media relations, advertising, and publication coordination skills within a computerized Apple Mac environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience in higher education marketing, particularly in development or alumni relations marketing, an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to provide creative solutions to complex marketing challenges within demanding timelines.
- Experience and knowledge of both traditional and digital marketing communications strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated ability to: communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, successfully collaborate with clients, colleagues, and suppliers to deliver high quality work, manage client expectations within a fast-paced environment, build positive relationships at all organizational levels through influential interpersonal skills, manage multiple completing projects, effectively organizing and prioritizing workload, operate related equipment, work in complex and/or sensitive situations, initiate and control assigned projects, work independently and take initiative with a minimum of supervision, work as a team member, and meet work performance standards set by the College.
- Knowledge of fundraising, donor and alumni relations best practices, including AFP or CASE training, an asset.
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, and maturity in dealing with donors, alumni, board members, volunteers, and colleagues, including the ability to anticipate and resolve stakeholder relation issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage events.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of digital marketing tools including Razer’s Edge (or other CRM systems), Campaigner, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus, YouTube, Flickr, HootSuite, Google Analytics, Google Ad Words, and web content management systems.
- Ability to occasionally work outside of regular hours during major events.
Salary Range: $2,221.99 - $2,621.21 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 28)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 5:15pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C146-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 28, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.