Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible to March 31, 2020.
The Buyer is responsible for the acquisitions activities within the Purchasing department by performing purchasing functions and related duties utilizing computerized software applications according to established guidelines and work performance standards set by the College.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a two-year diploma in Material Management, Business Management or Public Administration, or equivalent.
- Enrolment in the Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) Designation Program and actively working towards the completion of the SCMP designation.
- Minimum four (4) years related experience as a Buyer in a purchasing organization of substantial size, preferably in the public or education sector.
- An equivalent combination of education and qualifications may be considered.
- Experience in the development of RFP’s, RFQ’s, and Tenders for goods and services; and the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Administering the public-sector bidding process (i.e. BC Bid) preferred.
- Knowledge of purchasing standards, policies, procedures and strategies, procurement strategies, supply management philosophy and techniques.
- Knowledge of various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function (i.e. WCB, federal and provincial taxation, customs, NWTA, Canada Hazardous Products Act, WHMIS, WCB, FOIPPA etc)
- Strong computer skills with experience using a computerized procurement systems.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), database management (i.e. Access), email, and Internet.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to write contracts on behalf of the College.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpretation, and negotiating skills required to evaluate vendors, handle pricing competitions, monitor market conditions, and to negotiate prices, delivery dates, and payment terms with vendors.
- Ability to prepare RFQs, RFP’’s, and Tenders.
- Ability to interpret and apply various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of action and judgement in all aspects of purchasing and a high degree of accountability.
- Ability to liaise with and develop effective working relationships with departments/divisions, vendors and suppliers.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to maintain standard of absolute confidentiality regarding information and records.
- Ability to provide customer service effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
Salary Range: $1988.06 - $2278.02 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 25)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:45pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C165-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 19, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
*Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.*
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.