Start date: As soon as possible
The Audio Visual Maintenance Technician supports the efficient operation of AV systems and equipment across the College and at satellite campus location(s). This includes presentation systems in classrooms, meeting rooms, and auditoriums, Nursing simulation systems, video conferencing systems, theatre lighting control systems, and centralised digital signage. The Technician is required to install, maintain, and support a wide range of professional audio, video, and control equipment and systems. As delegated by the supervisor, this position executes a variety of projects and tasks. This position also delegates tasks and provides directions to junior team members in resolving routine technical issues.
Education & Experience:
- Successful completion of a relevant two-year diploma or Grade 12 plus additional specialized training of over 2 years.
- Four (4) years of recent related experience in audio visual system maintenance and integration, and providing technical and instructional support to users.
- Successful completion of the Extron Control Specialist certification program.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience with AV system design, installation, configuration, programming, testing, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance.
- Experience with analysing and interpreting electronic and architectural drawings and diagrams.
- Knowledge of IT network standards, protocols, topologies, and networking hardware applicable to the deployment of AV control system.
- Knowledge of current industry standards (e.g. ANSI, AVIXA) and best practices.
- Knowledge of both PC and Mac hardware and software, with proficiency in office, graphics editing and drafting applications including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, MS Visio
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- InfoComm Certified Technology Specialist (CTS).
- ITIL Foundation Certification.
- Other relevant industry recognised credentials from Extron, Crestron, Biamp, Panasonic, InfoComm and etc.
- Knowledge of and experience with IT ticketing and knowledge management applications required for providing user support.
- Knowledge of and experience with collaboration applications required for team communication, including O365 and Slack.
- Knowledge of and experience in UX, interaction design, or graphic design.
- Knowledge of and experience with high-level programming language (e.g. Python).
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with an ability to express complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent research, analytical reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with a variety of manual and power tools, and electronic instruments commonly used in the AV industry.
- Excellent diagnostic skills in both analog and digital electronics.
- Aptitude for mechanical customisation.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to absorb and retain new information quickly.
- Ability to work within the framework of established standards, procedures, and policies.
- Ability to follow applicable WorkSafe practices and guidelines.
- Ability to work independently and to initiate activities as appropriate.
- Ability to work in a group environment, adapting to different roles as needed.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster effective working relationships with other college employees, students, external vendors and contractors.
- Ability to adapt with constant technological and institutional changes.
- Ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult individuals and challenging situations.
- Intercultural competence: ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with people of various cultures.
- Candidate must be able to perform physically demanding tasks on a frequent basis, including climbing ladders, working in confined spaces, lifting and/or carrying equipment up to 25 kg.
- Ability to arrange suitable transportation and travel within the Lower Mainland.
- Ability to work flexible hours during early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
Salary Range: $1,950.86- $2,235.39 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 25)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 31, 2018
Competition No.: C014-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.