Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible.
The Assistant Head Pre-School Teacher is actively involved in the daily operational management of the Child Development Centre, in particular with internal operations related to staff scheduling, records management and upkeep of Daycare website. This position also works with other teachers to supervise and provide care; to plan and implement instructional and developmental programs for preschool aged children, toddlers and children with special needs according to work performance standards set by the College. In collaboration with the Head Pre-School Teacher, this position supports the management of various operational functions that vary throughout the year and requires adaptability and fluidity to ensure effective and safe operations for children and their families. This position represents the department as delegated by the Head Pre-School Teacher or in the absence of the Head Pre-School Teacher. May perform other related duties or assume projects, as assigned.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education, Training & Experience
- Basic Early Childhood Education Certificate along with two year Diploma in ECE. Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or equivalent would be an asset.
- Must have current License to Practice with Community Care Facilities Licensing
- Minimum Two (2) years of recent related experience working in a day-care providing similar service to parents and their children (in addition to practicum experience gained during the diploma program).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience implementing programs for preschool aged children and toddlers.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of practices and techniques involved in planning and implementing instructional and developmental programs for preschool aged children, toddlers and children with special needs.
- Knowledge of the legislation and regulations governing child care facilities and programs in the Province of British Columbia.
- Experience supervising staff, an asset.
- Experience managing an operational budget, an asset.
- Current safety oriented First Aid, Emergency level, Childcare, or ChildSafe certificate required.
- Must obtain documentation confirming a satisfactory criminal records check.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work with and ensure the provision of care to a variety of age groups and in a variety of roles.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as demonstrated through effective relationships with parents and other members of the day-care staffing team.
- Ability to plan and implement and ensure the provision of suitable childcare programs in a clean and safe environment.
- Ability to communicate skilfully and sensitively with toddlers, preschool age children, and children with special needs; ability to communicate effectively with parents.
- Ability to maintain and ensure effective working relationships with other employees, students, parents, and the general public.
- Ability to be a team leader and a team player, working well with other day-care staff to provide excellent childcare.
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse group of children and families.
- Ability to physically lift weights exceeding 10kg.
Salary Range: $1,953.71 - $2,221.99 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 24)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:00am - 4:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: C079-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on June 18, 2019
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.