Temporary, Full Time (3 positions)
Dates: As soon as possible to March 31, 2018 with the possibility of extension
The Admissions Assistant is responsible for receiving and processing domestic applications for admission into the College. Admissions duties involve verifying and validating supporting documents and admitting applicants into programs. The Admissions Assistant is a member of the Admissions team and works to provide assistance and information to applicants, the Langara community and the public, regarding the College’s program admission requirements, and related academic policies and student services. The Admissions Assistant also performs clerical support functions such as routine data entry using the Banner system, data verification of student information, updating lists/forms, typing correspondence, and performs other duties related to admissions as required.
Education & Experience:
- Grade 12 graduation plus 1 year successful completion of post secondary studies.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience within an educational environment using an integrated on-line system such as Banner, preferably within a Registrar's Office.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of post-secondary admission/registration policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of prerequisite, transfer credit and advance standing practices.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities when encountering conflicting demands.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information, assistance, and related services to the public, faculty, staff, and students in a tactful, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team--working harmoniously with others.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing (MS Word), familiarity with a large student records database (preferably Banner) and proficiency in using spreadsheets (i.e. Excel) and database software (MS Access).
- Ability to work well in a high volume environment and fulfil the demands of the position at peak periods (e.g. application deadlines and registration periods).
- Accurate keyboarding skills at a minimum 45 wpm.
- Ability to accurately enter information into software databases.
- Ability to handle confidential (academic) information responsibly.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, good judgement and diplomacy.
Salary Range: $1,554.81 - $1,761.55 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 18)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary between 8:30am - 6:15pm. according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlised candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 17, 2018
Competition No.: C010-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.