INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Department/Program: PSL (Peer Supported Learning)
Position Title: Peer Supported Learning Advisor
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time (1/4) of Full-Time
The Peer Supported Learning Advisor is responsible for supervising and supporting PSL Facilitators. Peer Supported Learning (PSL) is an academic support program providing informal study workshops led by senior students who have taken the class previously. The facilitators (senior students) sit in the class to observe, become a peer, provide model student behaviour, and facilitate out of class study workshops. Unlike peer tutors – peer support leaders do not teach or tutor – they facilitate the study workshop. Study workshops are regularly scheduled allowing students to collaborate to compare notes, discuss lecture material/readings, develop organizational tools, and predict test items. Students learn how to integrate course content and study skills while working together (please see https://iweb.langara.bc.ca/psl/ for more information).
The PSL Advisor participates in hiring, training and evaluating the performance of PSL Facilitators and the on-going management and improvement of the PSL program. PSL Advisor is responsible and accountable for supporting and improving student success and retention.
- Supervise, evaluate and support a team of PSL Facilitators
Works closely with and in support of the PSL Project Lead, assisting with:
- PSL Facilitator training days
- Identifying target courses for PSL support
- Recruiting and hiring PSL Facilitators
- Advertising and promoting the program
- Analyzing and reporting on the effectiveness of the program
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and approaches.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships
- Be a positive and active contributor to student success at Langara College.
- Masters Degree in a relevant field, preferably with training and experience in adult education methodologies
- 5+ years working in a public post-secondary environment
- Completion of the Supplemental Instruction Supervisor and Leader Workshops (training can be provided)
- Previous experience in mentoring and advising students
- Demonstrated experience in program evaluation
- Demonstrated experience in leading and training a team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Creativity and excellent problem solving skills
- Be a self-starter who can organize and handle a variety of projects, deadlines, and schedules simultaneously under minimal supervision. Demonstrated behaviours that indicate personal commitment to innovation, teamwork, flexibility and integrity.
Length of appointment: 0.25 from January 01, 2019 to April 30, 2019 with possibilities for work in subsequent semesters.
Start Date: January 01, 2019
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: To apply, send your resume, quoting competition F090-18 in the subject line of your email.
Deadline: November 9, 2018