Job Title: Peer Supported Learning Advisor
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time, Fraction (25%) of Full-Time
Posting Type: Internal
Department/Program: PSL (Peer Supported Learning)
Description of Position:
The Peer Supported Learning (PSL) program has been in place at Langara College for 2 years. The focus of peer supported learning is to invite students in courses that are considered high risk for failing, withdraw or D grades, to attend sessions delivered by their peers. The peers are students who have previously taken the course and achieved a B+ or higher. These students, called PSL Facilitators, are trained in how to help attendees learn how to study, take notes, prepare for exams, etc. in sessions offered outside of class and at no cost to the attendees. This program bases itself on the Supplemental Instruction program as developed out of University of Missouri Kansas City UMKC in 1973. For more information on this program, please visit the SI website: https://info.umkc.edu/si/ The Langara PSL program also has a website at https://iweb.langara.bc.ca/psl/
The Peer Supported Learning (PSL) Advisor is a faculty role that supports and supervises the PSL program student Facilitators. The PSL Advisor participates in hiring, training and evaluating the performance of the PSL Facilitators. The PSL Advisor is part of the on-going management and improvement of the program in the support of student success and retention.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate, support and supervise a team of PSL Facilitators
Works closely with and supports the PSL Coordinator with:
- PSL Facilitator training days
- Identifying target courses for PSL support
- Recruiting and hiring PSL Facilitators
- Advertising and promoting the program
- Analyzing and reporting on the effectiveness of the program
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and apply knowledge of instructional practices and approaches
- Build and maintain positive working relationships across the college
- Be a positive and active contributor to student success at Langara College
- Masters Degree in a relevant field, preferably with training and experience in education methodologies
- 2 or more years full time equivalent instructional experience in an academic program at Langara.
- Completion of the Supplemental Instruction Supervisor and Leader Workshops (training can be provided)
- Previous experience in mentoring and advising students
- Demonstrated experience in program evaluation and/or assessment and improvement
- Demonstrated experience in leading and training a team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Creativity and excellent problem-solving skills
- Be a self-starter who can organize and handle a variety of projects, deadlines, and schedules simultaneously under minimal supervision. Demonstrated behaviours that indicate personal commitment to innovation, teamwork, flexibility and integrity.
Length of appointment: 0.25 or ¼ time role for one year (Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 Semesters) with possibility of extension
Start Date: January 6, 2020
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F073-19
Deadline: October 28, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.