Job Title: Librarian, Copyright
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Library Services
Description of Position:
Langara Library is seeking an innovative, team-oriented Librarian with a strong commitment to customer service. At Langara, Librarians work in a collegial environment to develop and implement services, policies, and collections that meet the College’s educational goals.
In collaboration with the reference and instruction teams, this position will provide reference and research support services, facilitate information literacy workshops, and serve as a liaison to several instructional departments.
Additionally, under the direction of the Director, Academic Innovation, this position coordinates a college-wide copyright program in cooperation with other College departments and advises on open education.
Working with the copyright technician, subject librarians, and consulting with individuals and units external to the Library, including academic departments, the Bookstore/Print Services, Educational Technology, and the Teaching & Curriculum Development Centre, this position will lead copyright compliance, advisory services, education, training and outreach.
Consider applying if you have experience and/or a strong interest in Canadian copyright law and open education.
The successful candidate will:
- develop, communicate, and maintain copyright policies and procedures, including fair dealing guidelines, in consultation with the Director, Academic Innovation and the wider College community
- advise on copyright and open education issues, trends, and directions
- design and deliver educational programming and informational materials to faculty, staff, and students regarding copyright, open education, and related issues
- develop best practices and an integrated approach to copyright clearances
- work with Copyright Technician to obtain permissions and licenses for copyrighted materials
- respond to copyright and fair dealing enquiries from faculty, staff, and students
- provide copyright related support for the integration of electronic resources in the College’s learning management system
- act as College contact for copyright collectives, and liaise with external copyright organizations and officers
- participate in Library and College committees and task groups, including the College-wide Copyright Advisory Committee and the Open Education Advisory Committee
- work with Educational Technology Advisor on open education initiatives
- plan and teach information literacy classes
- provide reference services, including virtual reference
- develop relationships and liaise with instructional and College departments
- participate in collection development within liaison areas as needed
- master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program in library or information science
- professional library experience, including reference services (academic libraries preferred)
- knowledge of Canadian copyright law and open licensing
- experience working with Canadian copyright
- experience advising faculty, staff and students on copyright and copyright related issues
- proven ability to work with support staff
- demonstrated ability to develop and deliver effective and engaging library and copyright instruction
- working knowledge of print, electronic, and Internet resources for a wide variety of disciplines
- ability to use and learn library and related educational technologies
- demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- demonstrated flexibility, initiative, creativity, and problem solving skills
- excellent project management and organizational skills
- ability to manage a wide range of responsibilities in a timely manner
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- ability to determine and respond to needs of diverse user groups
- commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing and ongoing basis
- experience developing local copyright policies and procedures in an educational setting an asset
- academic credentials or work experience in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and/or English as an Additional Language an asset
Length of appointment: November 15, 2017 to December 15, 2018
Start Date: November 15, 2017
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F045-17
Deadline: August 8, 2017
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.