INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Job Title: Instructor, Professional Photo-Imaging
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time, Fraction (1/16) of Full-Time
Posting Type: Internal
Department/Program: Professional Photo-Imaging
Description of Position:
The Professional Photography Program seeks an instructor for PHOT 2320 Documentary Photography in the Fall 2019 semester. This is a ¼ section course (1/16th of full time, which is one hour a week of classroom instruction plus other duties related to the college). The position involves teaching students to identify the types of photojournalism, discuss ethical issues in photojournalism, create lists of images needed for good storytelling, pitch ideas to a photo editor, plan a picture story, write clear and concise captions and use images and captions to tell a story.
The calendar description for the course reads:
Photojournalism and the art of storytelling are central to documentary photography. Students delve into topics relating to photojournalism including ethics, rules of photojournalists, point of view, pitching and planning ideas, getting paid, storytelling, shot lists, and genres of photojournalism.
The topics covered in this course are:
- What is photojournalism?
- Genres of photojournalism (spot news, sports, features, environmental portraiture)
- The ins and outs of storytelling
- Ethics and Rules of photojournalism – dealing with people.
- Point of view and types of images needed in a picture story
- The art of editing images (edit, crop, contrast)
- Workflow for journalism - Photomechanic
- Pitch ideas to an editor / planning for a picture story
- Writing captions
- Getting paid as a photojournalist or feature photographer
- Contracts and agreements in journalism
- Event photography
- Video capture vs still image capture for documentary photographers
- The future of photojournalism
- Masters degree (or equivalent)
- Experience working as a photojournalist or documentary photographer
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience using a Mac operating system
- Professional level foundation knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom, Nikon or Canon DSLRs
- Demonstrable knowledge of PhotoMechanic software or industry equivalent
- Present a portfolio of current and relevant work including news, sports and event photography. The images in the portfolio should highlight storytelling.
*Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- 3–5 years of teaching experience
- Teaching experience with college-level photography courses
- 3–5 years experience in the field of professional photography
Length of appointment: September 1st to December 30th, 2019.
Start Date: September 1st, 2019
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Eric Stewart, Department Chair, Professional Photography at 604-323-5111 ext: 2479 or email@example.com
Competition No.: F026-19
Deadline: May 22, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.