INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Job Title: Instructor, Professional Photo-Imaging
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
Posting Type: Internal
Department/Program: Professional Photo-Imaging
Description of Position: The Professional Photography Program is seeking an instructor to teach 0.5 sections of PHOT1120 Creativity and Ideation in the Fall 2018 semester. The position includes teaching the technical foundations of photography.
The calendar description for the course reads: Students develop creativity through idea generation, evaluation and implementation. While communicating with creative teams and individuals, students explore drawing, design and layout principles through a variety of assignments and examine styles and trends through analysis and critique.
The learning outcomes for this course are:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- use basic drawing skills in a drawing journal
- employ colour theory as part of a design strategy
- analyze, critique and defend creative projects
- apply brainstorming techniques in a small groups
The course content includes:
- Basic drawing skills. Drawing journals for generating ideas.
- Creativity boot camp. Creativity as a practice and creative habits.
- Brainstorming in small groups for generating new ideas.
- Two dimensional design principles, using graphic design to tell a story.
- Photographic Composition: Creating depth in a photograph, moving the viewer’s eye to tell a story.
- Basic colour theory. Designing with colour.
- Critique: Learning the vocabulary of visual communication.
- Understanding current style and trends. Assessing the attributes of a creative individual and defining a personal style.
- Introduction to typography.
- Using photography, design and text to tell a story or deliver a message
- Creating marketing materials.
- The psychology of a creative team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and pedagogy
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas
- Ensure effective use of available class time and supervise lab/studio time
- Maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation
- Must attend department meetings and assist with department duties
- Maintain collegial working relationships, actively contributing to the department and College
- Please see Article 5.3 of the LFA Collective Agreement
- Masters degree (or equivalent)
- Portfolio presentation of current and relevant work
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience using a Mac operating system
- Experience in drawing, idea generation, and critique
- Demonstrable knowledge of photographic composition, color theory, typography, and design
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- 3–5 years of teaching experience
- Teaching experience with college-level photography courses
- 3–5 years experience in the field of professional photography
Length of appointment: September 1st to December 30th, 2018.
Start Date: September 1st, 2018.
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: To apply, please visit our website at www.langara.ca and select “Employment Opportunities”.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Eric Stewart, Department Chair, Professional Photography at 604-323-5111 ext2479 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: June 22nd, 2018
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.