INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Job Title: Instructor, Latin American Studies
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
Posting Type: Internal
Department/Program: Latin American Studies in the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
Subject Area: Latin American Studies 1101 – Latin American Cultural Perspectives
Description of Position:
One part-time term position to teach ¼ of Latin American Studies 1101: Latin American Cultural Perspectives.
The goal of the course is to analyze the many creative ways in which Latin Americans use cultural expression as a powerful medium for social change. We are looking for someone to teach a quarter section on how Latin Americans use literature as a force for social change. Case studies from various genres and countries will examine how Latin America writers confront injustice (gender, class, ethnicity, among other things).
In addition to teaching, faculty must hold regular office hours, check their Langara email daily, and be an engaged member of the Latin American Studies Program and College community.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in relevant field related to Latin American Literature
- Ability to work as part of a team of three instructors, attend program meetings, and be an active member of the Latin American Studies program
- A sound knowledge of the social, cultural, political and economic conditions of Latin America, both historically and in the modern era
- An ability to incorporate participatory learning
- Significant, relevant lived experience in Latin America
- A basic working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese
Length of appointment: January 1, 2020 to April 30, 2020
Start Date: January 1, 2020 (10:30-12:20, Mondays and Wednesday for the three weeks of the semester).
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F070-19
Deadline: October 21, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.
Posted on October 7, 2019
Distribution: Human Resources, L.F.A., Deans’ Office