Job Title: Instructor, Kinesiology
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Subject Area: Kinesiology
Description of Position:
The Department of Kinesiology at Langara College invites applications for a sessional instructor for the course PHED 1112: Introduction to Physical Fitness
This course is an introduction to personal physical fitness development. Although it is principally geared to mild but continuous and progressive exercise, there will also be opportunities for higher levels of performance. Some individual fitness testing is conducted to indicate personal fitness levels and place you in appropriate programs.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of, and the ability to deliver curriculum pertaining to the course’s learning outcomes.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
- Be able to identify basic health-related physical fitness components: aerobic fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
- Be familiar with baseline lifestyle assessment through participation in a variety of standardized assessments of physical fitness, aimed at making the student more aware of their current health behaviors - positive and negative
- Be familiar with physical activities that promote the attainment and/or maintenance of improved levels of physical fitness through participation
- Be encouraged to pursue an individual exercise program outside of class time
The instructor will be responsible for the preparation and delivery of lecture material; the design, set-up, and delivery of laboratory activities; and the preparation, delivery, and grading of assignments and exams.
- A master’s degree in kinesiology, physical education, or a related field.
- The successful candidate must have training in basic health screening assessments for safe participation in physical activity, and in the design and implementation of basic exercise programs.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience teaching courses pertaining to human health, wellness, or fitness at an accredited post-secondary institution, and to candidates with experience teaching a diverse student population.
- An advanced certificate in the field of strength and conditioning, physical activity, or a related field.
Length of appointment: September 1st, 2019 to December 31st 2019.
Start Date: September 1st, 2019
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F031-19.
Deadline: 4:30PM on June 21, 2019.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.