Job Title: Instructor, Journalism
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time, Fraction (1/4) of Full-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Subject Area: Journalism
Description of Position: Langara College’s Journalism Program seeks an instructor for JOUR1168 Photojournalism. This is a one section course (¼ of full time) which is 4 hours a week of classroom instruction plus other duties related to the college.
The successful candidate will be able to help students capture everyday images of life to provide documentary images that tell a story, and use storytelling and editing skills to combine digital images, video and audio for multimedia website presentations.
The position involves teaching students foundation DSLR camera techniques, digital asset management and workflow, environmental portraiture, cultural and aesthetic trends in photojournalism as well as the ability to identify the types of photojournalism, discuss ethical issues in photojournalism, pitch ideas to a photo editor, write clear and concise captions and use images and captions to tell a story.
The calendar description for the courses read as follows:
The students develop skills and concepts required to produce professional photographic news reports and photo essays, including combining words, still or multiple images and designs to tell a story. They learn the fundamentals of multimedia photojournalism for the Internet.
- Masters degree or equivalent
- Experience working as a photojournalist or documentary photographer
- Experience shooting and editing video for news
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience using a Mac operating system
- Professional level foundation knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom, Nikon or Canon DSLRs
- Demonstrable knowledge of PhotoMechanic software or industry equivalent
*Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- 3–5 years of teaching experience
- Teaching experience with college-level photography courses
- 3–5 years experience in the field of professional photography
- Present a portfolio of current and relevant still photography work including news, sports and event photography. The images in the portfolio should highlight storytelling. These images can be digital or in print.
- Present two different types of news and/or documentary videos that were shot and edited by the candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and pedagogy
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas
- Ensure effective use of available class time and supervise lab/studio time
- Maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation
- Must attend department meetings and assist with department duties
- Maintain collegial working relationships, actively contributing to the department and College
Length of appointment: January 1st to May 31st, 2019.
Start Date: January 1st, 2019.
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: To apply, please visit our website at www.langara.ca and select “Employment Opportunities”.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact
Effie Klein, Department Chair, Journalism at 604-323-5395 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition No.: F086-18
Deadline: October 25, 2018
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.