INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Job Title: Instructor, Latin American Studies (IDS)
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time (1/16) of Full-Time
Posting Type: Internal
Department/Program: Latin American Studies in the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
Subject Area: Latin American Studies 1101 – Latin American Cultural Perspectives
Description of Position:
One regular part-time position to teach ¼ of Latin American Studies 1101: Latin American Cultural Perspectives.
The goal of the course is to analyze the many creative ways in which Latin Americans use cultural expression as a powerful medium for social change. We are looking for someone to teach one quarter of this team-taught course. There is some flexibility, but the topic should be a contemporary form of artistic expression that is aimed at promoting social change. The topic needs to differ from what is covered by the other instructors (such as film, testimonial literature, music, and carnival).
- Master’s Degree or PhD in related field is required
- Ability to work as part of a team of three instructors, attend program meetings, and be an active member of the Latin American Studies program is required
- Ability to teach three weeks on one or more forms of cultural expression is required
- A sound knowledge of the social, cultural, political and economic conditions of modern Latin America is required
- A willingness to incorporate participatory learning is required
- Demonstrated post-secondary teaching experience related to course content is preferred
- A working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese is an asset
Length of appointment: Four months
Start Date: January 1, 2019 (10:30am-12:20pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays for the last three weeks of the semester).
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F080-18
Deadline: October 22, 2018
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.