Job Title: Instructor, Fine Arts Salish Weaving
Full Time/Part Time: Part time/25% of full time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Fine Arts
Description of Position: The department is seeking an instructor to teach one section of Salish Weaving for Spring term 2020.
The qualified candidate should have:
Experience with working with the following materials: wool and other fibres used for weaving, dyes including natural dyes
Experience with the following techniques: Coast Salish weaving practices, Coast Salish design theory, knowledge of Coast Salish cultural traditions including textile making, intercultural applications of traditional weaving practices
Experience with the following tools: hand spinning, weaving on the loom, dying of natural fibers
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The work includes:
- Four hours of class time per week
- Lectures, demonstrations and providing guidance as students work on projects
- Leading critique, one-on-one feedback, evaluation of projects
- Weekly office hours
- Participating in departmental activities
- Masters degree in Fine Arts or related field or demonstrated and recognized mastery within traditional and/or contemporary Indigenous studio practice.
- Minimum of 2 years teaching at post secondary level or equivalent, including recent student evaluations and relevant samples of student work
- Professional practice in Coast Salish Weaving. Please indicate in your CV your history of public presentations of your work in a professional context, including any grants, awards, publications and bibliography, as well as contact information for three professional references
- Portfolio of related independent body of work (20 images)
Length of appointment: January 1st 2020 – April 30, 2020
Start Date: January 1, 2020
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F080-19
Deadline: November 6th, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.
Posted on October 24, 2019
Distribution: Human Resources, L.F.A., Deans’ Office