Job Title: Instructor, Film Arts Feature Film Writing
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time (25% FTE)
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Film Arts
Description of Program:
Film Arts is an eight-month intensive, collaborative and comprehensive program for students wishing to work in film as actors, writers, or directors. Instructors are working professionals who bring their expertise and experience into the classroom.
Description of Position:
The successful candidate will, based on their own experience, knowledge and the required textbook, lecture on the topics of Idea, Character, Structure, Theme, Genre, Conflict, Action Sequences, Story Forms, Plot and Format. Significant time will be spent reading and responding to student work, with an emphasis on respecting the imagination of the individual and what they are trying to accomplish through their screenplays.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and pedagogy. Maintain currency in relevant subject areas.
- Ensure effective use of available class time and supervise lab/studio time.
- Maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation.
- Must attend department meetings and assist with department duties.
- Maintain collegial working relationships, actively contributing to the department and College.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience as a Screenwriter in Feature Film and Television
- A minimum of 3 “Written by” or “Screenplay by” credits of produced Feature Films
- A Member in good standing with the WGA or WGC
- Teaching experience at a Post-Secondary level
- A Master’s Degree in a related subject
Length of appointment: January 1, 2020 to April 30, 2020
Start Date: January 1, 2020
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F059-19
Deadline: October 11, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.
Posted on September 23, 2019
Distribution: Human Resources, L.F.A., Deans’ Office