Job Title: Instructor, Education Assistant
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time (1/4 of Full-Time)
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Education Assistant
Subject Area: Practicum supervision
Description of Position:
This faculty position requires setting up, supervising and evaluating practicum placements for students in the Education Assistant Program. They will assist in arranging practicum placements in public schools in the Lower Mainland, contacting teachers and administrators and matching student requests with available locations. They will travel to each school as needed or required to meet with students and school staff, and to observe the Langara students in their school setting. Faculty are required to provide their own transportation, but are compensated for their travel expenses. Formative feedback and recommendations are given to the students. Sometimes the faculty member must intervene in difficult situations which may require liaising with other College employees and/or school board employees.
The practicum supervision is concentrated in a four-week block from April 1 – 26, 2019).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and approaches
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas, including global and/or local trends, issues, and opportunities
- Maintain collegial working relationships
- As appropriate, actively seek opportunities to integrate students and learning into organizations and/or the community
- Be a positive and active contributor to the Education Assistant department, the Faculty of Social Sciences & Management, and the College
- Minimum of a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a related discipline
- Five years minimum public school teaching experience with students having special needs
- Practicum supervision experience
- Individual must be very familiar with the Education Assistant Program curriculum so they are able to evaluate student performance based on the learning outcomes
- Preference is given to individuals who have taught in a similar program in a credit-granting, post-secondary program
Length of appointment: Four months (one semester)
Start Date: January 1, 2019. (new Langara employees receive an additional month for preparation)
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F081-18
Deadline: October 22, 2018
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.