Job Title: Instructor, Criminal Justice
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
Regular/Temporary: Temporary (Summer Term 2019)
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Criminal Justice
Description of Position: The Criminal Justice department is seeking qualified candidates to fill a part-time temporary position for the Summer 2019 semester. There is one course available to teach:
Introduction to the Criminology (CRIM 1125) on Monday and Wednesday from 1430-1620 (single section of 40 students)
- Master of Arts degree in Criminology, with a PhD preferred; or Master of Arts degree in a related field plus relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated post-secondary teaching experience
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and a strong commitment to ensuring students are supported throughout their studies
- Ability and willingness to contribute in department meetings and initiatives
- Preference will be given to applicants who have recently taught this course, or an equivalent, at a post-secondary institution or who have graduate course work in the area
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and approaches
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas, including global and/or local trends, issues, and opportunities
- Ensure effective use of available class and lab time, and maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation
- Build and maintain positive working relationships
- As appropriate, actively seek opportunities to integrate students and learning into organizations and/or the community
- On an as needed basis, participate actively in program design and review
- Be a positive and active contributor to initiatives at the Criminal Justice Department, Community Programs Division, Faculty of Social Sciences & Management, and the College
Length of appointment: May 1, 2019 – August 31, 2019
Start Date: May 1, 2019
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Melissa Roberts, Department Chair of the Criminal Justice department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-323-5190.
Competition No.: F004-19
Deadline: February 19, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.