Job Title: Instructor, Applied Planning
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Applied Planning
Description of Position: Langara College has offered an Applied Planning program since 2002. Following a program review in 2012, the College has created the Post Degree Diploma in Applied Planning. The intake for this program is September each year.
We are currently hiring instructor for our APPL 5240 Environmental Planning course in Spring 2020. Our classes are held once per week in the evening (typically 6:00pm to 9:00pm).
Descriptions of Courses can be found on the Langara website:
This is an intensive program designed for students with an undegraduate degree or equivalent. Applied Planning students share a passion and motivation to contribute to better and more liveable communities and a more sustainable future.
The program builds applied skills for people who wish to work in the field of planning. Courses emphasize team based learning and introduce students to case studies, practical projects and a range of skills necessary for the practicing planner. Graduates of this program find work with planning organizations including local and regional government, consulting firms and indigenous communities.
Students in the program require 15 courses to graduate from our 12 month program with a Post Degree Diploma in Applied Planning. There is an optional work term which includes four additional courses.
Classes start at 6.00 pm and finish at 9.00 pm weekdays. Additional time is required for the instructors to be available to students in scheduled office hours at Langara College. Field trips may be involved as well during the term.
- Masters Degree in Planning or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of planning experience in a senior capacity for a local or regional government/planning agency or consulting firm.
- Significant and direct and relevant experience of planning.
- Membership, prior membership or eligibility for membership of the PIBC or Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Post- Secondary teaching experience, although not required, would be an advantage.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and approaches.
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas, including global and/or local trends, issues, and opportunities.
- Ensure effective use of available class, and maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships.
- As appropriate, actively seek opportunities to integrate students and learning into organizations and/or the community.
- On an as needed basis, participate actively in program design and review.
- Be a positive and active contributor to initiatives at the Applied Planning Department, Community Programs Division, Faculty of Social Sciences & Community Programs, and the College.
Length of appointment: Teaching: January 1, 2020 to April 30, 2020
Start Date: January 1, 2020
Salary placement on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Application Information: To apply, please visit our website at www.langara.ca and select “Employment Opportunities”.
Competition No.: F075-19
Deadline: October 25th, 2019
Posted on Ocotber 16, 2019
Distribution: Human Resources, L.F.A., Deans’ Office